Thursday, May 10, 2007

Life verse

Up until a few years ago I had no idea what this meant, that was until I was challenged to find a verse in the Bible that would be my life verse....a verse that I could live by. I remember reading Proverbs 3:5-6 and knowing this to be my life verse.....

5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
6 in all your ways acknowledge him,
and he will make your paths straight.

Then as we embarked on the NES journey I became frustrated with how long the process was taking. I didn't know if Jeremy would ever get on, if we would ever be able to afford a bigger house (or at least one with a bonus room to put the toys), or if I would eventually have to go back to work but then God reminded me of this verse....

Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

This verse doesn't mean that God is saying that He's going to make us rich by the world's standards but it does say that He will provide and that I could be assure of a hope and future. Whew! I clung to this verse knowing that no matter what we would be taken care of and if not with NES we would still have a future.

My latest verse though is 1 Timothy 4:12 Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity.

The majority of the people I hang out with are older than me (you know you are!) which then makes me intimidated at times to say what I really want to say. This verse gives me security that even though my age may be young that I can still speak in honesty, truth, and love to those that by the numbers are older than me. I'm not saying that I do this perfectly or even remotely close to what I should but at least now I can feel confident that I have a "right" to.

So do you have a life verse?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the same verse in Proverbs 3: 5-6 and I have claimed it many times. It's funny how Jeremy has gone through the same thing with NES as we did with his dad getting his job at Ford. It took many prayers and lots of patience; but as you know it happened in the Lord's timing and He blessed us tremendously!! I know God will also bless your own family as well as continue to bless our family as a whole. I am so proud of you both and what you are accomplishing; keep looking to Jesus for the answers and He will truly bless you!! Look at the wonderful blessings to us already through Gracie & Carleigh. Once again I lift my praise to you Lord!

Rachel :O) said...

dang! i'm older than you. oh well. i haven't really thought about a life verse. let me think about it and get back to you! :O)

Brea said...

Ok, so are you calling me an old fart!?!?!?! HA HA

You know my ears are an open door to your fears and issues!!! Love you, Brea

Anonymous said...

Okay! Does anybody have any extra Depends...I've run out!! Ha! Ha! Enjoy your age..you will be mine before you know it and things WILL hurt more. My Trick Knee always hurts before a storm Ha! Ha!. Proverbs 3: has been a life verse for me before... but, I now say the word in general is my life walk. Without it I don't get any nourishment and can't walk right!!!

Anonymous said...

I have have never known you to be intimidated by someone not to say what you believe!! :) And I am not that much older than you!! Anyways, great post, the Lord does provide and takes care of us in all the difficult and good times. It's nice to know that He sees the big picture when we can't!!
Love ya,
Heather

Anonymous said...

I too love the 1 Timothy verse, and think it's helpful to personalize what it says. Here goes....my friend.

Paul is essentially saying to us "There are some that are going to look down on you because of your young age and life-experience. Do not let them discourage you, but show them through your example Christ-likeness in your speech, your life, the way you love, your Faith, and in living a pure life.

I think to myself....."WOW, What did Timothy think or say after that!!" For example....Hey, thanks Paul for reminding me that I can be who God called me to be.....but did we have to cover all of those areas at once?

You can almost sense the teacher vs. pupil exchange here. Anyone who knows me would recognize that at this point, my notebook is in hand and I'd be interested to ask Paul what were the steps 1-5 to get me to the end of such a task!!

Gratefully, the remainder of Scripture in almost every way, teaches us how to be "an example" in each of those areas.

I see a HUGE Challenge being presented to all of us reading this! You amaze me Sarah with your honest ways of serving God. I love reading about what He's doing in your life.

Laura

Anonymous said...

The most important thing to remember - is that there will always be people around you who are both older and wiser...but also people who are younger and more immature in the faith.

Ask the Holy Spirit for guidance on when to speak. And look for the balance that exists there.

The Redeemer has given you a new name and a new heart in Christ, and the Holy Spirit speaks to you just as He speaks to people who have been believers for 50 years.

Be bold when you need to, but always loving and full of faith as Paul instructed Timothy. And even when you do speak...be open to the direction of the older and wiser believers who surround you. One day, before too long...you will be one of those 'older and wiser' folks too!!!

Check out Proverbs 13:20...if you walk with the wise...you will become wise.

Aaron