Monday, April 2, 2007

Sarahism #1

So now that you know me and what happens in my life I guess I can start cluing you in on some of what I like to call "Sarahisms".

The first one would have to be Barbie, Barney, and Spongebob. These guys are not allowed in our house which many people find disturbing. Let me begin with Barney~there really isn't anything that I can say I don't like except that he gets on my nerves. I watched my share of that purple superdeeduper dinosaur when I lived at home as that was what my little sister LOVED to watch. Now that I have my own kids...I just don't think I can take anymore.

Spongebob...I think he is disrespectful and rude. He has crabby patties...I don't want my kids to be crabby or think it's okay. To me this is an adult cartoon that is not appropriate for kids of all ages.

Barbie~yes I have 2 girls and this doll nor any of her accessories are allowed in our house. To me she is an unrealistic role model that I don't want my girls looking up to. Really, what woman do you know that NATURALLY has that figure? I want my girls to believe they are beautiful and worthy no matter how many outfits, shoes, convertibles, etc they have. Because of what Barbie has represented I really don't feel comfortable purchasing anything with her trademark associated with it whether it be a shirt, lunch box, doll, or jeep....it's not welcome at my house.

There, now you know a little more about me......I hope we can still be friends!!

3 comments:

Welcome to our crazy blessed life said...

We were the same way about Barney but he has made an occasional appearance in our house. Both kids know who SpongeBob is...you can't get away from him but we do not watch that show at all. I thought I would have the same stance on Barbies but I don't anymore. I played with Barbies and Munchkin has a couple. She also has a Barbie nutcracker video that we got after seeing the Nutcracker live. But that is ok, we can still be friends if you can handle Barbie at our house but we won't bring them there. We are way more into Polly Pockets anyway! Every parent has the right to choose what is OK or not for their kids to watch. We do not watch Arthur because he is a rude little boy..err..rabbit too.

Anonymous said...

I have the same opinion on Spongebob...but when your husband could care less what your children watch, and tell them they can watch it even though I said NO...it makes it very difficult. Thankfully my kids Barney days were very short. As for Barbie, my mom saved all of the Barbie stuff from me and my sisters, and Sarah has Barbie Swan Lake video and LOVES IT. But I'll make sure it doesn't play a big role in what she thinks people should look like.

Anonymous said...

You go girl! My thoughts exactly!!!
There aren't many cartoon(or other) characters that I do like.