Wednesday, April 25, 2007

What do you think

This may just be another Sarahism but....I have a real problem with the child support system. Let me go ahead and say that Jeremy and I are fine but because of some people close to me going through divorces lately that is where this is coming from. One friend that I have who just went through a divorce, her ex-husband is supposed to be paying child support but isn't. They will go back to court in a couple of weeks because of it and if he still hasn't paid anything then they are putting him in jail. This is where I have the problem...what good will it do putting him in jail? Not only will he not be able to pay because he won't be able to work but he will also be costing taxpayers more money for housing and feeding him. He is also going to have a record which then can jeopardize chances for him to get a new job which then again puts right back in the same boat. In no way am I condoning parents not pay their child support but there has to be a better method for discipling dead beat parents. What makes more sense to me is that there be some kind of work program just for these individuals where they have to work long enough to pay back their child support as well as pay for their room and board. What do you think?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooh....good questions! Not a clue on how to fix it though. Punishment such as jail-time is just a form of "rough justice" for the parent left paying the bills. I recommend divorce mediation rather than traditional divorces through the courts--with a judge deciding who pays what. The mediator acts as a family counselor and can help both parties come to an agreeable solution. I recall some statistics showing that the rate of payment is increased b/c the non-residential parent feels like they have had a "say" in what portion they are responsible for. Just an idea......it's a growing profession and licensed by the state.

Laura

Anonymous said...

In essence, here is my church answer, but the real answer... Our country just needs a revival in general within the family and marriage and then we wouldn't have to worry about it, huh? I know, not the answer you were looking for.... :) Just wanted to say hi! I'm adding you to my blogroll... I'm just slow! :)