Sunday, October 12, 2008

Mommy to Mommy

Ladies I am in uncharted territory here and I need your help. I like to think of myself as a Nazi mom but Carleigh is really testing this theory. Besides the time we get up in the morning I try to have a pretty basic schedule~breakfast, play, lunch, naps, play, dinner, baths, bed~and I am a stickler for discipline. I was taught a long time ago if you want your kids to take you seriously you have to mean what you say. If you tell them they will get spanked if they do it again then the next time they do it they get spanked; if you tell them to stand in the corner then they have to stand in the corner; if you tell them to come here then they should do it the first time and not the 27th. Ok so you get my point.

Here's the problem...it doesn't matter how rigid I am with my rules, she just keeps pushing. I can spank her and it doesn't phase her. I can MAKE (literally) her stand in the corner and the fits just get worse. I can take her to bed 15 million times (sometimes I think literally) and she will continue to get out of her bed until she gets her way, whatever it might be that day. I have even gone so far as to stand out side of her door holding it until she finally gives up and passes out on the floor just so she'll take a nap.

This is NOT the mother I want to be but I'm to my wits end and I'm out of ideas. She's only 2 so I'm sure some of this is part of the terrible 2s however I know if I don't get a handle on this now the trecherous 3s might just put me in the nut house :) So what are some of the things that worked with your kids?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Will isn't wanting to take naps either, but he still has to sit on his bed and read, or play. When he gets up, I put him back down, until one hour has passed. Then, I figure if he's not asleep by then..it's not worth trying any longer! The girls still do this too. Anyday that we're all home, everyone has at least an hour of alone time. Works great...but isn't easy at first. Rest assured, you're doing a great job!

Laura

Anonymous said...

I have a few of these. I learned that a one lick spankin didn't cut it for them, it just made them mad or they just looked at me like "is that all you got". I had to give them 10-15 licks to get the point across. Some people don't like that, but when you have a strong willed one, that's what it takes.

Anonymous said...

Girl! You readin' my mail? I could have written this post myself! I don't know either. I'm back to spanking. I quit a while back cause it seemed to just fuel her fire. But I'm reading "The Most Important Place on Earth: What a Christian Home Looks Like & How to get One" and the discipline chapter helped unpack some things for me. So back to the spoon I go. But it's tough. It's trial and error. It's a lot of prayer! Literally I've had to pray out loud in the middle of one of her fits just to keep myself from having one. I'd say it's all age appropriate and God-willing we'll figure it out eventually then they'll hit four and turn into different little obedient kids!

Anonymous said...

Oh and that book I mentioned said exactly what Katie said. It's a great book by the way! But the question I have is how do you spank a child whose being a screaming noodle and you can't physically get to her bottom? Trial & error and prayer...it's all I know.

Anonymous said...

I only remember having one of these moments when I was little and I had the mother of all capital punishments. I was swatted with a stick on the back of my legs. Since then when I acted up (5 or so), my mom or grandmother would say, "Go outside find a stick and bring it back in." I went outside, and got my stick, but never came back in.
One of my other friends has a two year old and when she acts up and starts to whine, she goes for underneath the arm. I have never seen a child go from whining to, complete silence it 2.2 seconds!
I'm praying for you girl. Hope tomorrow is a better day for you:0)
Take care,
Maggie Stamper

Anonymous said...

Hey Kim, there are times that it is hard to get to my kids rearends too. I either make them lean against their bed and I hold their legs and back down or, put them across my legs and hold them down. Otherwise you end up spanking their back or arm, places you don't want bruises to show up.

Anonymous said...

Katy those are the only ways I'll spank too - but it's so hard I have to physically bend her to get her across my lap or over the bed.

Sarah, just found this verse in that book & thought I'd pass it on...

Galations 6:9
And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.

Sarah said...

can I just say wow...Kim that verse is exactly what I needed!! Thanks you so much for sharing it with me. Today has been better....keep praying!!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, sorry I'm laughing, but you know I have "that kid" too. And, I can just remember you looking at me like I was crazy when I told you some of my "mia" stories!! But, let me tell you that she is the most independent, best personality, funniest kid I know. And, all that testing the rules has actually paid off a little in the form of no one (classmates) are gonna tell her what to do. She's a leader, and sometimes that's the best thing to be in this very-hard world!! Oh, and I have another recipe for you-chicken nachos-yummy!!! Holley

Anonymous said...

Girls,
As a Moma and a Grammy, I have to say, "This too, shall pass"...one word of caution, " Rules without a relationship equals REBELLION"...be consistent is the key, set the boundaries and hold them to it...God created these children for His glory and to serve Him. These strong wills are necessary for this world we live in,trust that God has a purpose for these precious children just as He made them. I'm praying for you...Susan Harris