Sunday, February 10, 2008

knowledge after the storm

It always surprises me what we learn after natural disasters. For instance, I was talking to my mom, who works for Farm Bureau Insurance, this week about if they had been flooded with calls after the tornadoes that hit Tennessee. She told me that at her office that hadn't received too many calls but that apparently the 1-800 number was over loaded. The next thing she said completely caught me off guard and it's something I will remember for future reference; did you know that some insurance companies don't cover college students belonging in their dorm rooms without a separate policy? Honestly it's something I never thought about (1) because I never went to college (2) because even though we have a renters policy for the apartment I just never considered a dorm room the same thing. I know this probably doesn't apply to most people who read this blog but if you know of college student please have them make sure they have a policy that covers their stuff in case of an emergency. The storm alone can be devastating but then finding out you didn't have coverage on your belongings can be even more so.

I hope this helps someone out there.

No comments: