Sunday, May 2, 2010

Humor in the storm

Ok yes I know it's FOREVER since I've blogged. However, I must say that before it was hard finding the time since our computer was upstairs away from the other part of the house and well I did just (4 months ago) have a baby. I've had several things rambling around in my head lately so here I am...I'm BACK!!

I think today you'd have to be living in a cave to not know about the flooding going on in Middle Tennessee. The destruction thus far is unbelievable and I know it's going to take quite a bit of time before it's repaired...please pray for the families affected.

So you're thinking (don't you like when someone tells you what you're thinking :)) You said humor...I'm getting there.

Here's a little background...where we live we have septic. there's a hole in the bottom of our septic tank. when it rains significantly our tank fills from both ends getting very full and causing a not so pleasant scent to occur. this is what happened on Saturday.

well has you can imagine with 4 small kids we HAVE to have a potty so we decided to head over to Jeremy's parent's house. They live very close to us so we could go there and still be close enough for Jeremy to come back and check the septic occasionally.

Fast forward some to Sunday...Jeremy goes home to check things out (about 6am) and the rain and wind pick up. I hear it so I move the pack-n-play that Lincoln is sleeping in away from the window but Jeremy's dad yells up that we need to get downstairs. It was really quick but we're pretty sure a small tornado came through because there were several trees down, a window blown out of a neighbor's house in addition to their garage door being ripped off and all the brick on 1 side of another neighbor's house. From our house Jeremy heard some electrically fuses blow and there went our power. Great now we have no septic, no power, and 4 hungry kids.

It was getting close to lunch so we decided to go and find somewhere to eat. We loaded all the kids up turned on the TVs and drove. It took us a while to find a route that wasn't flooded that would also lead us to FOOD! Finally we ended up at Zaxbys and by this time our cell phones, our only means of communications, were dying. Luckily I had our chargers (we don't have car chargers) and found a booth with an OUTLET! Oh happy day. right away I plugged in our phones and went to order. About this time Lincoln decided he was hungry so off to the bathroom I went~knowing they had warm water in there. Ok I know this sounds gross..but what else was I supposed to do?

After we ate we headed over to Walmart to let the kids get some energy out and go to the bathroom(gross again I know!) Well you know Walmart has EVERYTHING and today I was thankful for an electronics department. Since 6 am we hadn't seen anything or even know if another storms was coming but at Walmart we gathered around the 1 TV they had set on the news and watched with the other drenched rats in the store :) I think it was at that moment that I realized I felt like the girl that lived in Walmart. I mean throw in a shower and we would have had it made.

Seriously I think today was the day that I broke all of the "I would never do _____"....charging a phone at a fast food joint, getting water from a public restroom to FEED to my child, enjoying and being thankful for the TV at walmart, and riding around in the van just so my kids can watch TV. hmmmm I wonder what we'll do tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You need to change your profile to include #4 in 2009.