Saturday, July 11, 2009

The Great Debate

***First of all I want to be very clear that this is not directed towards anyone. This is a topic that God has passionately laid on my heart and I feel lead to share***

It's hard to believe that we are a mere 3 weeks from the beginning of school but I, for one, can't wait. It's interesting though to hear the conversations that emerge the closer we get to that first day. "Where do your kids go to school?" "What teacher did they get?" and then the subsequent ansers that follow. I have, however, been a little overly surprised to the number of Christians who answer the first question with "we've decided to home school." Again I'm in no way judging anyone for the decision they make for their family but my heart gets a little heavy each time I hear that answer.

Let me give you a little background. I was not raised in a Christian home and only after I had graduated high school did I accept Jesus as my personal Savior. I can tell you though that looking back it is very evident to me that I had specific people I went to school with praying for my salvation. Maybe that's why I'm partial the way I am but please consider this. If we have taken our kids to church, or at least taught them about Jesus, since they were born, we have instilled in them the love for others as Jesus loved us, we teach forgiveness as Jesus forgives us...then why are we then "hiding" our kids in our house and not allowing them to be the light of Jesus in our schools? I know that in public schools today (well really all schools) there is an increase in the negativity that our kids hear...kids cussing, bad home lives, bad attitudes, etc. (more than likely a result of not knowing Jesus) as well as the kids having "busy" work. Yes I know that in home schooling you can get as much work done in 1-2 hours that takes 7-8 in a classroom but are you missing the "extras" the kids are learning...patience, building on friendships, authority other than parents, rules, dealing with differences, etc. For years I've received emails about how we've taken God out of our schools by not allowing prayer but I think even more so we're taking God out of our schools by taking our kids out of school.

I know this is a tough decision to make as a parent; that every child and situation is different but I ask that before you ultimately make a decision also consider the impact, or lack thereof, it may have in the life of another child.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Could not have said it better. I have often wondered the same thing. We can not shelter our kids from everything. It is a big debate, I think especially among christians. You said it well.

Katy

Anonymous said...

This is just totally my opinion, but it really is an individual decision. If God wants you to home school your kids, go for it!! If not, go for it!! There are going to be positive/negative influences every where you go. Doesn't matter if you are homeschooled, private schooled, or public! (Is schooled a word??) I totally LOVE my kids schools, smaller than usual, with that hometown feel. We have had some AWESOME teachers!! And my kids have been blessed with great friends!! The key is (no matter where you are) stay involved in your kids lives. Me and Allie are close and she's almost a teenager, and I think that speaks volumes!! Are my kids perfect?? No, there are no perfect kids out there! But, blessed we are, and if you put God your #1, he will lead you and protect you on your way. I say, do what's best for your family, God works in ways way different than we do!! But, God bless to everyone and thier individual decisions!! Just trust in Him!! Holley