Tuesday, January 13, 2009

A refreshing drink

I must start this post by letting you know that in NO way shape or form did I come up with this myself. I read this on another blog and instead of linking you there I decided to just share it here. I do know that she said this came from her notes taken at her recent MOPS meeting. I hope this blesses you as much as it did for me (very convicting but very much needed!)

1. One of my favorite things she said was "You cannot lead your children any farther in the Lord than you've already walked yourself." She was emphasizing our need to be disciplined in the Lord on a daily basis. It really hit home with me.
2. Your joy does not depend on their behavior. Be it if they disapoint you or make you proud, that is not your joy. And they need to see that joy is not based on performance or this world in general.
3. Learn how to break the will but not the spirit of your child.
4. Never humiliate your child publicly. If they are embarrassed this will break their spirit. Help them obey, especially the young ones just learning.
5. Never threaten to leave your child (if they're not coming). This does not follow scripture when Jesus says "I will never leave you or forsake you."
6. Use positive reinforcement, not bribing. Bribing puts the power in their hands.
7. Build up your child
8. Use everyday events to talk to your children about spiritual things.
9. And she made clear that she was not excusing sluggishness, but to always remember You are raising children not a house. God is more interested in a clean heart, not so much a clean house.

Is there one of these that hit home with you more than the others? For me it's ALL of them!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Sarah- thank you for sharing this on your blog. I REALLY needed to read this! This is Susan- for some reason its not letting me sign in. :)

TinyJr said...

Number 8! It is directly linked to how close you are daily walking With the Word in number 1! If it is close He will show you the opportunities for #8!

Thanks

Rachel Wilson said...

we are doing this together. it is proving to be a little tough because we are constantly thinking is that it? is that him/her trying to fulfill the dare or are they just opening up to me or being nice.........blah blah blah so it is wonderful but tricky when doing together.